Sunday, September 5, 2010

Political Ads - Lying is Legal

From Harry -

Here in Florida we just finished a typical primary campaign featuring two Republican candidates for Governor, and two Democratic candidates for Senate, heaping piles of dirt on each other. I got to thinking - somewhere in the past I'd read that court decisions had declared lying in political ads to be protected by the Constitution.

After strenuous research (meaning 30 seconds on Yahoo) I found I was right. What's worse, the Federal Communications Act prohibits broadcasters from refusing to run specific ads - even those known to be untrue - unless they refuse all political advertising. If you're interested, here's a link to a 2008 Time Magazine article on the subject.

Truth in Advertising? Not for Political Ads

Don't believe everything you hear!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that is just AWFUL! I can't even stand to listen to the political ads; such trash it makes my blood pressure rise. I am very disappointed Bud Chiles has dropped out of our governor's race; I think another Chiles in office would have been a wonderful thing for our state. I fear the state budget if a Republican is in charge next year... we suffered enough this year as it was :(

    ReplyDelete